Method used for burial services
Research shows that for churches in Africa there is no specific method for a funeral to be held. Every minister has his own plan of how a funeral should be done. The basic method remains the same. However it is also clear that there are small differences in every church. Things are mostly done the way they have been done in the past.
Why attend church?
It is so sad that in the case of weddings and funerals most African churches have lost so much control that the ministers are often performing the services according to pagan tradition. Therefore many funeral services do not show any of the victory found in the New Testament of the Bible, since the resurrection of Christ.
Through the funeral service the believers are telling the rest of the world that death is normal and just as much part of life as birth.
To find the best way for funerals today we need to look at the following:
- The history of funeral services or burials of the Old Testament in the Bible.
- The history of funeral services and burials of the New Testament in the Bible.
- A short description of the burial services of Christians in the past.
- The role of mourning and crying for dead loved ones.
- We ask these questions to find out how the modern church holds funerals today.
- To find this information we need to have a look at history books of the past, look at how funerals are done today. Then we will give some practical guidelines that can be followed by the church today.
Basic ways funerals are held
- The methods followed at the funeral home or mortuary for burials.
- Another imported thing was how the body was handled after death in preparation of being buried.
Firstly, in Bible times, the body was prepared very fast and they tried really hard to have the funeral on the same day as the death of the person. We can read about this ritual in Acts 5:6 -10 where Ananias and Sapphira were both buried within three hours after their death. There were exceptions, such as in the case of Jacob where his body was taken back to Canaan for his real burial, as per his request.